Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Its a part time life

I left university in June 2003 and started at a construction company later that year in September.  I've been there ever since.....

I used to love my job and when I found out I was pregnant with toddler penguin I felt really sad about going on maternity leave and leaving my job behind. Not just the job but the people too.  I came back to work when he was 9 months old and chose to work part time.  The first couple of weeks were really hard but as I saw how much he benefitted from being at his childminders and how much I enjoyed having my own time reading the paper on the train and catching up with friends it got so much easier and just became out life.

I chose to work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and it couldn't have worked out better.  After having to share toddler penguin with papa penguin at weekends I got him all to myself on Mondays and again Wednesdays helped break up the week.

However in October 2011 our company merged and my job changed.  If I had been given the option of redundancy I would have taken it but I wasn't, I was kept on.  Gradually all the fun interesting bits were taken away and about 80% of my job became admin.  It didn't just happen to me but everyone had to make changes and with lots of redundancies made things changed.  Staff morale still decreases everyday.  So now I'm pregnant with baby number two and with only working part time I'm counting down the days till I go.

I still enjoy the part time working life.  I love reading my books on the train and having something to talk to papa penguin about in the evenings other than dirty nappies and what happened on the latest peppa pig episode.  Toddler penguin loves going to the childminder and I love seeing him develop and definitely think its the best thing for him.

However my salary just about covers her fees and we therefore have to let her and my job go once the baby is here.  Am I bothered ?  About the childminder yes.  About my job.....no....not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment