Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Steak Casserole with a Pie Topper

Our dinner for tonight was a mixture between a pie and a casserole. My mum gave me this idea once when she visited and we couldn't find my pie oven dishes.

This tends to serve 2 large portions people, if I had to feed more I would bulk it out with more vegetables to save money.

I start by sweating 2 chopped red onions and 2 crushed gloves of garlic in by large Le Creuset Casserole Dish .  Meanwhile I coat the chopped casserole steak in seasoned flour whilst occassionally stiring the onions.  Next I add about 6 peeled and chopped carrots and 5 diced new potatoes. I give it a good stir and then add about an inch of stock and let it thicken up then goes in about half a bottle of wine (a full bottle if its got to go further).  

We are currently going through our stock of red bergerac bought back from a holiday in France. I simmer for about 10 mins, season and add 3 bay leaves.  I always make a mental note of how many I put in as I like to take them out before I serve. Lid goes on and it goes in the oven for about 90 mins stirring once to check the level of liquid. 

Towards the end of the cooking crank up the heat and I get the pastry ready. Much to my mothers disapproval I use Jus Rol pre made puff pastry and cut the block in half and the other half in the freezer.  This portion then gets cut in half again, rolled out into a rectangle and put on a baking tray and in the oven for about 20 mintues. I try and time it all to finish at the same time including the cabbage which I steam for about 5 minutes.

To serve I pour the casserole onto the plate, add the cabbage and then just place the pastry on top.  This means I never have to deal with soggy pastry - huge favourite in our family.



No comments:

Post a Comment