Thursday, 15 August 2013

Reasons to be Cheerful



Papa penguin got promoted!  Sure it has its cons of late nights, working away up north one night a week, always on his blackberry.  But this post is about focusing on the positives of life!  I actually enjoy his one night a week away.  I eat dinner with the kids and tidy up whilst they are playing so come 730pm at the latest I have approximately 3 hours to myself!  I can watch my rubbish on tele.  Sit on my macbook all night.  Do housework....ok maybe that isn't a pro!

Promotion means more money and possible end of year bonuses that we've never had before! Its not a huge amount but its enough for me not to have to stress about getting registered as a childminder before schools return.  Its enough that we can actually SAVE!  We save for our yearly expenses such as car costs, birthdays, christmas and holidays but we don't save for the kids or our future. And finally it means I can increase our weekly food shopping budget.  This past few weeks I've really struggled to keep our food below £80 a week so I'm looking forward to a bit more splurging!  Won't be much - maybe £100 a week!

In hindsight of papa penguin's promotion I treated our garden to a makeover.  I managed to spend £85 in the local garden centre on lots of shrubs.  Doesn't look like much but I'm fed up with bedding plants flowering for a few weeks then dying and looking ugly.  Hopefully these shrubs will last years and and some even produce flowers!

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic!! Well done for the promotion, and your garden looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, love the garden makeover it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to papa penguin - fab news. love the garden photos x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can really tell that there has been a difference in the garden. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a night to myself too, hubbie has started to work lates on a Friday and it is bliss! lol Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Papa P! That's great news.
    Garden looks lovely, I know what you mean about bedding plants, we have had them for last couple of years and once they die off, looks empty again. x

    ReplyDelete