Tuesday, 20 January 2015

Recipe - Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes

I recently made these cherry bakewell cupcakes very last minute for lunch with the inlaws after my fifth attempt at making a swiss roll went wrong.

I needed to make cake and wanted it to be slightly interesting but also quick.  So using my normal cupcake recipe I added almond extract and voila!



Makes 12 cupcakes.
Ingredients
4oz butter (I am dairy free and use pure spread)
4oz caster sugar
4oz self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1tsp almond extract (got mine from sainsburys)

Method
Preheat oven to 180C.
Cream the butter and sugar.  I use a kitchenaid and leave this mixing whilst I get the rest of the ingredients ready and prepare my muffin tins with 12 cup cake cases.
Add flour, I don't bother sieving.  Add the baking powder, the eggs and the almond extract. Continue to mix until flour is incorporated.

I then use an ice cream scoop so as to get equal measures of the batter into the cupcake cases.
Place in the oven on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes until golden in colour.

Remove from oven and when cases are a little cooler transfer to a cooling rack.

Buttercream
10oz icing sugar
4oz butter (again I use pure spread)
1tsp almond extract
Diced glace cherries for the topping.

Sieve the icing sugar, add the butter.  Mix well (I cover my kitchenaid with a damp tea towel to contain the "dust"!)

Using an icing nozzle, ice the cupcakes and top with a diced glace cherry.  Delicious and simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment