Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Recipe - Dairy Free and Gluten Free Fish Pie

I just had to share this recipe I made.  I admit we don't eat that many meals with cheesy creamy sauces in as I don't really like them.  Not just because I'm dairy free, I just never have.  I did however recently have a huge craving for fish pie so I found a recipe and although it was really faffy I really enjoyed it.

I've recently taken on a dairy AND gluten free mindee so I was keen to given this recipe a try without gluten and it worked!  I thought it was really yummy and all 6 children I looked after ate it all up, two even had seconds!  So here it is.

Please note this recipe contains goats cheese.

Serves 4 adults - or lots of kids!

Ingredients
For the sauce
50g vitalite (or other dairy free spread)
50g gluten free flour (such as doves)
500ml Rice Milk (I use alpro)
50g hard goats cheese (grated)
For the pie mix
5 medium sized potatoes (I use Maris Piper) peeled and diced
ground white pepper
dollop of vitalite
1 packet fish pie mix
handful of frozen prawns (defrosted)
50g hard goats cheese (grated)


Boil the potatoes and then mash them with a sprinkle of ground white pepper and a dollop of vitalite.
Pre heat the oven to 200°C degrees

Make the sauce:
Put the rice milk into a microwavable jug (such as pyrex glass jug) and heat until hot (or use a separate saucepan). In a non stick saucepan heat the vitalite until melted, turn down the heat and add the gluten free flour. Stir continuously until a paste is formed.  Gradually add the hot milk approximately 100ml at a time stirring continuously to remove lumps.  Add the grated cheese.

Make up the pie:
In a lightly greased (with oil or vitalite) oven proof dish place the prawns and fish pie mix and stir well. Gently pour the white sauce covering all the fish.  Spread the mashed potato over the top, run a fork over it and cover it with the grated hard goats cheese.

Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.



I serve mine with peas and sweetcorn or baked beans. 






No comments:

Post a Comment